Recent Publications by Olive Ridley Project Scientists
- M. Stelfox, M. Bulling, M. Sweet “Untangling the origin of ghost gear within the Maldivian archipelago and its impact on olive ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea) populations“. Endangered Species Research. 10.3354/esr00990. (2019)
- Sweet, M; Stelfox, M. Lamb,J. (Authors) “Plastics and shallow coral reefs. Synthesis of the science for policy-makers“. United Nations Environment Program (2019)
- Stelfox, Martin “Ghost Gear, The Silent Killers in Our Oceans“. Current Conservation Magazine Vol. 12 Issue 2, 2018:1 8-19.
- Hudgins, Ali, and Mancini “Marine Turtles of the Maldives: A field identification and conduct guide“. An IUCN Publication funded by USAID. (2017)
- Hudgins, Hudgins, Ali, and Mancini “Citizen Science Surveys Elucidate Key Foraging and Nesting Habitat for Two Endangered Marine Turtle Species Within the Republic of Maldives“. Herpetology Notes, volume 10: 463-471 (2017)
- Stelfox, Martin, Jillian Hudgins, and Michael Sweet. “A review of ghost gear entanglement amongst marine mammals, reptiles and elasmobranchs.” Marine Pollution Bulletin 1.111 (2016): 6-17.
- Dunbar, Stephen G., Jillian Hudgins, and Claire Jean. “Meeting Report for the 1st Photo ID Workshop, 36th Annual Symposium on Sea Turtle Biology and Conservation, Lima, Peru, 29 February 2016.” Marine Turtle Newsletter 151 (2016): 32.
- Stelfox, M. R., et al. “High mortality of Olive Ridley Turtles (Lepidochelys olivacea) in ghost nets in the central Indian Ocean.” BOBLME-2015-Ecology-14 (2015): 1-23.
- Stelfox, Martin “The impact of ghost nets on marine species in the Maldives“. IUCN Maldives Marine Newsletter Issue 3 January 2015: 13-14
- Stelfox, Martin “Ghost nets of the Indian Ocean – Olive Ridley Project“. IUCN Maldives Marine Newsletter Issue 2 August 2015: 18
Sea Turtle Protocols – PDF Downloads
The Impact of Ghost Nets in Maldives
Below you will find educational resources from Olive Ridley Project’s workshops on the impact of ghost nets in the Maldives.
Our workshops aim to spread awareness in local communities and tourist resorts about the impact of ghost nets in the Maldives, and to educate citizen scientists in safe ghost net removal and disposal, entangled marine organism rescue, and accurate data collection.
Download Monitoring and Reporting Ghost Nets (Session 3)
Download First Aid Procedures and Case Studies (Session 6)