Assistant Sea Turtle Ranger and Community Officer, L. Fonadhoo, Laamu Atoll
Position: Assistant Sea Turtle Ranger and Community Officer
Job Reference Code: ASTRL001
Application Deadline: 24th January 2024
Location: L. Fonadhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives
Duration: 12 months
Start Date: 4th February 2024
Hours: 30 per week
Compensation: US$ 400 per month
Fluency in Dhivehi and English is a must
The Olive Ridley Project (ORP) is on a mission to protect sea turtles and their habitats through rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education and outreach. At the core of our work is a passionate and dedicated team of scientists, conservationists, citizen scientists and volunteers. We pride ourselves in being able to collaborate with a wide range of diverse groups in order to reach our goal and fill data gaps in sea turtle conservation. The charity is at the forefront of sea turtle conservation, influencing local policy makers, fishing communities and collaborating with research institutes. We currently have bases in Maldives, Oman, Kenya, Pakistan and Seychelles.
L. Gaadhoo has long been identified as one of the most important turtle nesting hotspots in the Maldives, which is now designated as a Protected Area under the Env Act (4/93).
Olive Ridley Project is monitoring the nesting beach (velaa heylhi) of L. Gaadhoo in partnership with the Environmental Protection Agency of Maldives through the Sea Turtle Ranger Programme. The programme aims to build technical capacity in Laamu Atoll for long-term monitoring and management of nesting beaches. The findings from the research play an important role in formulating the Maldivian government’s management plan for L. Gaadhoo protected nesting beach.
The project is a collaboration with Laamu Atoll Council, L. Fonadhoo Council, AgroNat, and with community-based organizations Maldives Heritage Society, Gamu Zuvaanunge Jamiyya, and Fonadhoo Environment and Sustainable Development (FESD).
About The Position
The primary focus of the project is to gather data on sea turtle nesting and illegal take in L. Gaadhoo through physical and drone monitoring surveys. Additionally, we will be conducting regular education and awareness sessions with schools, NGOs, and other key stakeholders. Localised educational materials based on atoll-specific cultural surveys will also be developed under this project, with the aim of fostering love for sea turtle conservation in the atoll.
The Assistant Sea Turtle Ranger and Community Officer is expected to work closely with the ORP and EPA, and will report directly to the ORP Maldives Programme Manager. The ranger will also work closely with the ORP Sea Turtle Biologist and Guest Educator based in Six Senses Laamu with the Maldives Underwater Initiative.
Main Activities & Responsibilities
- Assist with monitoring of Gaadhoo’s nesting beach:
- Conduct physical monitoring nesting beach 3x a week
- Conduct drone monitoring of nesting beach and surrounding lagoon as recommended by ORP
- Marking or hiding nests to deter poaching as necessary, under guidance from ORP
- Data collection on nesting and poaching frequency
- Supporting project implementation, including preparing project updates and building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders;
- Assist the ORP Laamu team with education and outreach activities in the atoll, including with developing localised educational materials in the form of video content and presentations; and
- Support in conducting the Historical Knowledge Survey of former Gaadhoo residents.
- Resident of L. Fonadhoo or L. Gan
- Fluency in spoken and written Dhivehi and English
- Legal right to live and work in the Maldives
- 18+ years of age
- Fluency in written and spoken Dhivehi and English
- Willing to learn and work as part the team
- Completed O’levels
- Computer literacy
- Passionate about marine conservation
- Former resident of L. Gaadhoo
- Experience with sea turtle nesting on L. Gaadhoo
- Passion for working in conservation
- Interest/experience working with community-based organisations
- Confident public speaker
How to apply
If you are interested in joining the ORP team as the Assistant Sea Turtle Ranger and Community Officer, please submit the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A brief cover letter explaining your motivation for applying for this role
- Your CV
- Copy of your National Identification Card (or Passport)
Please include Job Reference ASTRL001 + Your Name in the subject line.
Application deadline: 24th January 2024.