Intern Sea Turtle Biologist, Noonu Atoll
Job Reference: SJI002
Application Deadline: 02 October 2023
Start Date: 09 October 2023
Location: Soneva Jani, Noonu Atoll
Duration: 3 Months
This is a paid internship. Meals and accommodation will be provided.
Fluency in Dhivehi & English is required.
The Olive Ridley Project (ORP) is on a mission to protect sea turtles and their habitats through rescue and rehabilitation, scientific research, and education and outreach. At the core of our work is a passionate and dedicated team of scientists, conservationists, citizen scientists and volunteers. We pride ourselves in being able to collaborate with a wide range of diverse groups in order to reach our goal and fill data gaps in sea turtle conservation. The charity is at the forefront of sea turtle conservation, influencing local policy makers, fishing communities and collaborating with research institutes. We currently have bases in Maldives, Oman, Kenya, Pakistan and Seychelles.
ORP & Soneva Jani
In 2019, ORP partnered with the sustainable luxury resort chain, Soneva, and as of this year now have a Sea Turtle Biologist based on Soneva Jani in Noonu Atoll. In August 2022, the Soneva Turtle Rehabilitation Centre will be complete! The combination of our new resident biologist and the upcoming rehabilitation facility will allow us to expand our rescue and rehabilitation, data collection and education and outreach efforts in the Maldives.
About The Internship
We are looking for an enthusiastic intern to join our team in Noonu and assist with ongoing projects and research. This is a rewarding opportunity for the right person and an opportunity to learn and become well-versed in sea turtle research.
The goals of the internship are:
- Develop capacity for sea turtle conservation and research in the Maldives
- Grow educational awareness of, and provide in-field experience in, marine biology
- Assist the Sea Turtle Biologist in research activities
- Assist the Sea Turtle Biologist with the operations of the rehabilitation centre
- Assist the Soneva Ocean Guardians with guest activities
The main projects the intern will be working on during the 3-month internship will be nesting research and nest monitoring, assisting with the running of the Soneva Turtle Rehabilitation Centre, guest activities and photo-ID research. There will be flexible 8-hour workdays, reporting to the Sea Turtle Biologist.
- Assisting with nesting data collection & nest monitoring
- Assist with the running of the Soneva Turtle Rehabilitation Centre
- Conducting photo-ID research on snorkels
- Maintain and update sea turtle encounter submissions in the database
- Give presentations to guests and staff
- Leading turtle-focused snorkels with guests and help with kids activities
- Assist Sea Turtle Biologist with improving and diversifying children’s activities.
- Assist the Ocean Guardian team when requested e.g. on dolphin cruise, snorkelling trips or educational activities
- Provide social media content
- Fluency in Dhivehi and English
- Confident snorkeler
- 18+ years of age
- Willing to learn and work as a part of a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience working in a remote island
- Passion for marine environment and conservation
- Looking to be in marine conservation as a career
How to apply
To apply for this internship opportunity, please email your CV and a brief cover letter explaining your motivation for applying to Risha on firstname.lastname@example.org by 02 October 2023 with the job reference number SJI002 + Your Name in the subject line. Please note that you must be fluent in Dhivehi to be considered for this intern position.