Sea Turtle Biologist and Educator – Oman
Vacancy Oman – Job Reference OM002
Position: Sea Turtle Biologist and Educator
Start date: 5th January 2020
Duration: 1 year with possibility to extend
This is a paid position. Please quote job reference OM002 in the email subject field when applying.
The Olive Ridley Project (ORP) is dedicated to removing and reducing the number of derelict fishing nets in the Indian Ocean and to protecting vulnerable marine turtles that fall victim to this ghost gear and habitat destruction. We achieve this by training volunteers to remove derelict fishing gear, safely rescue trapped animals, and record important information about the gear and animals entangled in it.
Furthermore we conduct research using Photo-ID methods to look at population stability, nesting activity and spatial distribution of sea turtles in the Indian Ocean. We have one of the largest turtle-ID databases in the world with just over 20,000 observations and work with an international team of experts to better develop the method.
ORP and Six Senses Zighy Bay in Oman have established a partnership with the aim to continue our sea turtle photo-ID database to monitor sea turtle populations and nesting activity in the region. We will also work towards new methods that minimise ghost fishing of traps and pots in the local region by working alongside local fishers in the bay.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Photo-ID research (training provided)
- Ghost gear research – management, mitigation and recycling projects
- Database management
- Data analyses
- Community outreach and awareness building
- Establishing new and strengthening existing partnerships with local NGOs
- Work alongside and strengthen relationship with fishers in the area.
- Create and post social media content
The successful candidate will possess the following minimum qualifications, experience, and skills:
- Minimum bachelors degree in Marine Biology, Zoology or related field.
- Fluent in spoken and written English – Arabic speakers preferred but not essential
- Excellent communication skills
- Qualified SCUBA diver (Minimum Advanced diver)
- Ability to work independently
- Experience working with sea turtles
- Knowledge of, and a passion for, the marine environment and conservation
- Experience working in remote locations with limited resources
- Working with small scale fishing communities
- Working within the fisheries sector
How To Apply
To apply for the position as Sea Turtle Biologist and Educator in Oman, please send your CV and cover letter, explaining why you are the ideal candidate for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org before 1st December 2019, quoting OM002 in the email subject field.